Based in Seattle, WA
Press / Business contact:
Our goal at Refract is to expand the emotional spectrum of interactive experiences. Through artistically crafting experiences that are personal to us, we aim to share something new that intellectually and emotionally resonates with our players.
Refract was founded by Jordan Hemenway, Kyle Holdwick, and Jason Nollan who met at the DigiPen Institute of Technology in Redmond, WA. They worked together on some of DigiPen’s most award-winning game projects, including Nitronic Rush and Solstice. After graduating they formed Refract to continue working in a similar capacity to create deeply personal and engaging interactive experiences.Distance
After Nitronic Rush had earned over 3 million players, Refract launched a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign in 2012 to create a spiritual successor. Over $160,000 was successfully raised, and since then the team has been developing Distance alongside the community. Distance v1.0 is set to release on PC on September 18th, 2018.
Distance - Launch Trailer YouTube
Distance - Release Announcement Trailer YouTube
Distance – The Radical Update YouTube
Distance – The Ghost Update YouTube
Distance – The Creativity Update YouTube
There are far more images available for Refract, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "MomoCon Indie Awards Winner" - Distance, 2017
- "SideQuesting Team Choice Award (PAX East)" - Distance, 2017
- "Curse Best Racing Game (PAX West)" - Distance, 2015
- "BigSushi.fm Golden Sushi of Sophistication (PAX West)" - Distance, 2014
- "A Racing Game I'm Actually Really Excited About"
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
- "Videos and words don’t really do justice to Distance. It may be the most instantly exciting, absorbing game I’ve played all year."
- Rob Zacny, PCGamesN
- "It's rare that a racing game will fully command my attention, but Distance was difficult to ignore in the PAX Indie Megabooth."
- Kyle Hilliard, GameInformer
- "Arcade to the core, leave now if heavy car tuning, standard racing or anything remotely realistic is what you are wanting, because Distance about to blow your face off."
- Owen Hibbert, Entertainment Buddha
- "Being part of an independent studio doesn’t mean letting go of big ideas. One team is challenging the distinctions between indie and triple-A game quality in its approach to development."
- Stephanie Carmichael, VentureBeat
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Creative Director, Composer
Artist, Level Designer
Artist, Level Designer
Community Relations Coordinator