Based in Seattle, WA
Not yet announced
PC / Mac / Linux
DescriptionDistance is a spiritual successor to the student PC racing game Nitronic Rush. In short, it's Trials Evolution + Rush 2049 + Halo + Tron. The game takes the intense action of arcade racing and fuses it with the exploration of an atmospheric world. You control a unique car that allows you to boost, jump, rotate, and even fly to survive in a chaotic and twisted city. The game is currently in pre-alpha and being presented on Kickstarter (see link below) in an effort to keep the team independent.
On November 11th, 2011, Team Nitronic unleased upon the world an over-the-top arcade racing game called Nitronic Rush. It eventually spread to over 150 different countries, with the game so far being played over 1.1 million times. After graduating from DigiPen, a few of the other developers on Nitronic Rush took jobs in the AAA game industry. When looking at what the Refract team wanted to do next, they realized that they're too passionate about making smaller independent games to stop now. That's when they turned down AAA job offers, started their own studio, and focused on games that they're incredibly passionate about.Spiritual succession
The team tossed around a few ideas of what project they wanted to work on next, and they always seemed to come back to arcade racing. There are very few developers working on arcade racing games, let alone any small indie teams, so the team saw it as a unique opportunity to push the genre. After learning a ton from creating Nitronic Rush, the team is really excited to create a spiritual successor that will blow away the original. Since DigiPen owns Nitronic Rush, the team is starting from scratch to build a more much expansive experience.
- Intense arcade-style racing action, taking place in a deep atmospheric world.
- Your vehicle has the ability to boost, jump, rotate any way you like, and even fly, which leads to an endless number of racing possibilities.
- Full-tilt multiplayer with LAN and Online play. Includes several modes, such as Classic Race, Tag, Capture The Flag, Stunt mode, Exploration mode, and many others.
- The world has a backstory of its own, so exploration to discover the city's history is highly encouraged. The team is taking their experiences from creating atmospheric games like Solace and Solstice, and injecting those undertones into Distance.
- Dynamic soundtrack composed by Jordan 'TORCHT' Hemenway, the musician behind many experimental music-driven games like Solace, Solstice, and Nitronic Rush.
- Powerful but user-friendly level editor and modding tools, where you can create levels from inside the game and share them with players around the world.
Distance Kickstarter Time-Travelling Update (New Digital-Only Tiers) YouTube
Distance Pre-Alpha Gameplay #2: Parkour Action YouTube
Distance Pre-Alpha Gameplay (Work in Progress) YouTube
Awards & Recognition
Distance has not received any awards or recognitions yet. Please check back later to see if things change.
- "Being part of an independent studio doesn’t mean letting go of big ideas. One team is challenging the distinctions between indie and triple-A game quality in its approach to development."
- Stephanie Carmichael, VentureBeat
- "The themes of Nitronic are repeated here – gravity-defying racing on impossible tracks, this time far more pretty, along with multiplayer, and driving upside down, like in real life."
- John Walker, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Last year the impossible happened: Nitronic Rush dethroned San Francisco Rush 2049 for being the best futuristic racer with "Rush" in the title. Now the developer is going to do a retail victory lap with spiritual successor Distance"
- Allistair Pinsof, Destructoid
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About Refract Studios
Refract Studios is a Seattle-based independent game studio made up of Jordan Hemenway, Kyle Holdwick, and Jason Nollan. They were a few of the developers behind several award-winning games like Solstice, Nitronic Rush, Solace, and several others. The team has a burning passion for creating impactful, engaging experiences that really push the boundaries of what it means to be a game.
More information on Refract Studios, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Creative Director, Programmer
Progammer, Composer, Business Development
Technical Director, Lead Artist
Concept Artist, Freelancer